Monday, May 21, 2012

Monday Week One of 13


Clear Creek EMS came here today to refresh everyone on CPR

A view of the dining hall.

Young counselors work hard to remove equipment from behind the cabin.

At least it wasn't hot. All done in quick time!

I'm finally typing on my own laptop here in the cabin. I got one of the guys to carry it from the car because I still can't breathe well in this air carrying heavy things for long distances. But I'm doing better, and my 02 sats are in the high 90's.  (That's good). Now my mouse won't work.


It was the first full day with the second nurse here. She was a camp nurse at this location last year, so she's the 'main nurse'. She's young with a few years of nursing under her belt, but she knows camp protocol better than I do.


For those of you who know what I'm talking about, this is shades of Laurelbrook.  Today, the future counselors were broken up into groups and assigned work tasks for the better part of the day. We, for instance, had a bunch of broken wheelchairs, beds, commodes, rails, high chairs, walkers, and more, stacked at the back of our cabin. No way was I going to 'clean that up'. But the 15 or so work crew members made fast work of all that in about 15 minutes! (photo)

Everyone gathers to eat in the dining room. The Camp Director, Program Director, and other main staff people actually live up here year-round. And, I suspect, some positions do change rather often.  It would be difficult to live isolated up here when you have little kids, I think. 



When camp is in session, all those kids have a different babysitter every day.


Today a staff member (young summer counselor) 'rolled her ankle' while she was on a little hike up the mountain behind us. (You start up the trail from the back door!)  We had to send her to the ER about 25 minutes away from here near Silverthorn, Colorado where everybody skies.  She was in a lot of pain and crying. We haven't heard word of what she actually did to her ankle!


The other nurse and I also spent some time today sorting through the many boxes of donations that have collected in the Medical Cabin all winter. Whew! You would NOT believe so much donations of things identifiable and things non-identifiable!  A work crew came by and picked up several pick-up truck loads of items we had to toss out due to outdated or non-usable. I think we have a semi-truck load of CHUX. We put them in every closet, under the beds and out in the storage units!


It actually got sunny and warm today. We opened the windows and propped the cabin doors open. Oh, I turned off the heat when I discovered we had the heat on and the doors open. lol. I think the nurses cabin is the only place with air condition, and I hear that people come in just to sit on our soft couch and cool off in the summer time.


Hubby has things under control at home. Fresh water for the pets, and feeding dishes full. The only sad part is that he says that Little Paws has not slept on his pillow on my side of the bed. I do hope he isn't waiting for me to come to bed, but I think he is.


Time for evening activities, so hope this finds everyone letting go of any 'stuff' in your life, and that you are enjoying the fleeting moments in time.


I'll try to upload better camp, mountain, and sunset pictures soon.


Take Care on the Journey
~Linda



2 comments:

The Cat's Meow said...

Enjoy camp!!
How many kids are there? Do you have to go on the hikes & do lots of walking/climbing?
Poor Little Boots is going to be a very tired kitty if he has to stay awake for 13 weeks while waiting for mommy. Do you get to go home during this 13 weeks?
Take care, have fun & I love ya <3

Linda J. Meikle (Former Linda Cash) said...

Pre-agreement that I only go where the golf cart goes. I drive! I go home every Friday afternoon until Sunday morning. The kids change each week. They are here for a week and then we get another group who arrive each Sunday. The other nurse is much younger and sports active, so she goes on the hikes. Many of the campers are in wheel chairs, so I stay with them.
Love you too little sister <3