Saturday, May 19, 2012

Day One and Day Two

Thank goodness, there's a Day Two at camp.

The first day, I should have been part of the 'older adults' standing in the back of room as they are prone to do at day-long meetings, but I was a 'newbie' to the program, so they expected me to sit in the circle on the floor and participate in the silly    "tell-me-your-name" fun and games.  I was bored and frustrated, but needed to put on a good show as the camp nurse who will get along with everyone and cheer on the team!

I more than once wondered just what I've gotten myself in to!!!!  I should be down at the nursing home dealing with short-staffing issues and a director of nursing with an attitude and bad- tempered toward me and every move I make.

Wait!  That's what started this new venture. No, lets push through the uncomfortableness and homesickness.  I miss the cats and Dee Dee. I miss hubby!!!  I miss sitting in front of the TV with my feet on a stool and hubby asking if there's anything I want. Did I get any mail today? Is the front door open so the sunshine can bring sunlight to my plants? How many roses bloomed today. (Oh, I'm going to miss the entire Rose-blooming season.) 

No stopping now. Back at the cabin at bedtime, all alone and feeling the emptiness like a glass jar closing in on me, I lock all the windows, check the doors and turn on the heat. It's almost more than I can handle, but I get busy with little things and even give hubby an early call. We've set 2 p.m. and 10 p.m. to catch up on our day by phone, but today needed a little extra.

I skip the skit put on by the counselors. (No campers here yet to be busy with.) I adjust the thermostat again and lay out my clothes in case there's an emergency in the night.

Just as I fall asleep, my iPhone rings. It's a child in trouble. I spend the next three hours talking him down and giving "mom advice".

Today is Day Two. I've had some down time, and even got a nap. The high altitude is quite an adjustment!  Hubby is taking care of things. The cats even reminded him of their treat time!.

Well, I just remembered that I forgot the radio I'm suppose to carry with me at all times. No one knows I'm on the computer room of the main cabin, so I'm off to to the Nurses' Cabin to pick up the medical radio and be back in compliance.

More tomorrow.

Take Care on the Journey,
~Linda

No comments: